Welcome to the Richmond Primary Teaching School Alliance.
We are a partnership of primary schools and other organisations based in Richmond, South West London. The Alliance is led by Trafalgar Infant School and Hampton Hill Junior School, both National Support Schools (NSS) led by National Leaders of Education (NLE).
Teaching schools are part of the government’s drive to give schools more freedom and to enable schools to take increasing responsibility for managing the education system.
Teaching schools will play a fundamental role in developing a self-sustaining system where:
- Trainee teachers learn from the best teachers, supported by a culture of coaching and mentoring
- Professional development is predominantly school-based and classroom focused. Teachers, support staff and leaders improve through exposure to excellent practice within and beyond their immediate school, through observation, mentoring, coaching, practice, reflection and sharing with peers
- Talent development and distributed leadership are the norm
- Staff demonstrating potential are encouraged to lead and are given structured and stretching opportunities to grow and develop
- Leaders have local knowledge and can identify where key resources and expertise lie
As well as offering training and support, teaching schools will identify and co-ordinate expertise in partner schools, using the best leaders and teachers to:
- Play a greater role in recruiting and training new entrants to the profession (initial teacher training)
- Lead peer-to-peer professional and leadership development (continuing professional development)
- Identify and develop leadership potential (succession planning and talent management)
- Provide support for other schools
- Designate and broker specialist leaders of education (SLEs)
- Engage in research and development activity
Who are we?
Richmond Primary Teaching School Alliance was designated in the summer of 2014. We are an alliance of primary schools from across the Borough of Richmond who work together with other key education providers to achieve the national goals for a school led system in education with the aim of improving standards of education for children in Richmond and beyond.
Our Vision and Values
The RPTSA is committed to a partnership which:
- is outward facing, with honesty, trust and a shared moral purpose to get the best possible outcomes for all of our children and young people in our schools
- supports and challenges all trainees and staff to consistently improve, have high expectations and a determination to be outstanding practitioners and leaders
- recognises, celebrates and achieves excellence for all of its members
- is self-improving, with a focus on improving outcomes for all stakeholders within a value-for-money framework
- creates a national model of excellence which is innovative and influences the national educational landscape
- rigorously focuses on QA standards and progress
The Partners within Richmond Primary Teaching School Alliance
RPTSA works in partnership other Teaching School Alliances, St Mary's University, Achieving For Children and several primary schools in the Richmond area.